Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THE CRITIC-AL’ SERIES...



Introducing Mary… Follow the series J
ROYGBIV FEVER (1)

On a beautiful sunny afternoon, a perfect day for my flowery mini dress (shorts underneath) and cavalli sun glasses,I’m going to have lunch with my friends when …… I spot her. She steps out of the car in all her glamorous colours and hell is let loose: ‘WTH??!! *%#$ Who let jack out of the box????’ Ok? I tried to ignore the fact that she was ebony black and her hair was a battle of colours and mind my own business . But as she came closer, I could not help but notice she was wearing a striped top and a print skirt and the colours, patterns and designs were all muddled up. I believe, my friends, I saw another ROYGBIV .

In elementary school, ROYGBIV was an abbreviation used to help children memorize the rainbow colours in their right sequence - Meaning RedOrangeYellowGreenBlueIndigoViolet. And now, I think the rainbow has family on Earth. They have taken part of their genetic composition (specifically ‘the simultaneous combination of many brilliant colours’) and molded it into a fashion trend, fit for them ONLY. And this trend has modified itself, over time, in various symptoms, into a fever. I have called it: The ROYGBIV fever.

And the varying symptoms of this ROYGBIV fever symptoms I have personally diagnosed, are probably just out of my own curious criticism.

Firstly (I think), the patient begins to feel like he/she isn’t appearing as ‘glamorous’ as he/she is supposed to. And then the urge to do something different and create this whole new ‘thing’ starts whirling up. “I can’t just keep going with the trend I see”, “I must be on something that makes everyone go ‘WOW!’ today”, “Why don’t I create a trend that would give more stirs on the side-walk, in the bus or on the train?” A ‘scientist’ sits and thinks of creating an innovation and this is the birth of a chaotic dream. However, this diagnosis may vary in people. It could happen abruptly or a decision taken over a period of time.

Then, they begin to put stuff together. The greens and blues and violets and oranges….. In stripes, prints, plains and patterns…… You could also spot some designs..... Flowers, animal prints, popular designer patterns in the midst of mixed and matched colours……

Afterwards, they feel this ‘urge’ to share their new discovery. They would often sit and dream about how people around will nod in approval at their new discovery and are always in anticipation to share this ‘trend’.

Then, there is this sudden boldness that comes with the anticipation. And the deed is done. They are spotted in all glamorous colours and they have this feeling of satisfaction written all over their face, like they have suddenly accomplished something. This illness, as diagnosed, can be temporary (like a one-night stand) or regular (a daily routine). No one is above contamination. (to be cont…)

So count on me and watch this space.
Love, Mary



5 comments:

  1. I find most catchy, the title; ROYGBIV FEVER... I guess it's permissible if I borrow the phrase?
    A nice piece, well presented... and concluded in nollywood style, ''WATCH OUT FOR PART TWO!!!''
    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROYGBIV fever is spreading fast, nice one babes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And DO watch this space!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Write up...Mary..

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROYGBIV fever!! Interesting piece babes :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...